Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Week 3: Task 2 - Technology Standard Evaluation

For my evaluation, I chose the strand 8.1.12.B.1 - "The use of digital tools and media rich resources enhances creativity and the construction of knowledge". ( The New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards)  The cumulative progress indicator (CPI) for this strand says that students will be able to "design and pilot a digital learning game to demonstrate knowledge and skills related to one or more content areas or a real world situation".

The expectation at this point, is that students have already had extensive exposure and experience using different medias and are now at the point where they can actual create their own forms of media.  Students are expected to have already analyzed and critiqued different media as well as have learned the legal and ethical issues that surround the use of that media form.  Creating something, according to the 2001 revised version of Bloom's taxonomy (see link for more info!) is at the top of the cognitive domain.  Students are also expected, based on the 21st Century Skills framework that shaped the technology standards, be able to choose the appropriate media and use it effectively.  The learner is expected to have already analyzed and critiqued different media types,  as well  learned the legal and ethical issues that surround the use of that media form.

In my Biology and Anatomy and Physiology classroom, I am constantly trying to expose, integrate, and implement technology into my own pedagogy as well as into the work of my students.  I do have a Smart Board in my room that I use on a daily basis.  An activity I have brainstormed that aligns itself with this standard would be to have students design a review game for their next test in Anatomy and Physiology (Ch. 5 The Skeletal System).  The students would work collaboratively and use the Smart technology and Smart Board for their game.  Each person in each group would have a designated role, and the group would be responsible as part of the evaluative rubric for dividing the work equally and appropriate, and letting the class know the process by which they made their game.  A part of the rubric would also score the students on their participation and role as a respectful audience member for their peers' presentations.

Students would be given many other media forms to use for the game.  Rather then use computer generated or text book images of skeletons, students could use a digital camera to capture themselves posing as the skeleton or pointing to different bones on their own bodies.  Students could use video to capture different skeletal movements, for example, a dancer (I teach at a High School for the Arts), and integrate it into their review game questions.  Students could create a skit, make a song, etc. and incorporate it into their game.  Although I would leave the specifics of the game, i.e. the format, questions, media types used, etc. I would require them to use at least two different forms of media in their presentation.  I would also give them suggestions, show them examples, and encourage their own personal creativity. 

I am continuously impressed with my students' creativity, and this type of assignment would really showcase their talents and ingenuity.  I believe this type of activity would allow students autonomy and the opportunity to make the assignment their own while also requiring them to engage with the content and the big ideas of the chapter.  Each groups' presentation of their games would serve as a review and study session for the entire class.  Talk about killing two birds with one stone!  The process by which each group creates their game and engages with the technology and other medias improves both their knowledge of the content and their technological literacy.

4 comments:

James Bigsby jbigsby@cwcboe.org said...

Very involved learning experience. I love how you have assessment OF learning and assessment AS learning. The next step is to clearly identify the criteria of learning and the specific technology skills you want to target.

grahamk5 said...

I like how students are also being evaluated on their behavior during others presentations. I think that is an important skill that gets overlooked more often than not.

Richard (Ric) Cohn said...

I like the idea of combining the student's subject area learning with their outside interests (in this case anatomy and art). I have heard teachers complain about students only wanting to work on subjects that interest them, and I think this is frequently a fault of the teaching not being made relevant. You seem to have a good grasp of ways to integrate technology already!

Tom Kelleher said...

I have never seen a smart board in person (I saw a teacher use one in the viedo we watched) but I would be very interested to see the students use one to present. I also thought your idea of grading the students behavior during others presentations was a great idea.