Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Standardized Testing, an Environment of Anxiety?


On Saturday, I took the Biology and General Science Praxis II exams to become an individual, in the eyes of the state, who is qualified to become a teacher. After a thorough cleaning out of the cobwebs and refreshing on my knowledge of the topics, I felt adequately prepared to take these two tests.

Upon sitting down in the stuffy basement of an old building with an inferno-like heating system, I began to get nervous. Not nervous because of the exams, but because the entire testing environment and procedure created a knot in my stomach. I had forgotten about all the round bubbles and number two pencils and the whole erasing of the bubble completely if you change your mind. I actually almost tore my "answer sheet" in a bout of feverish erasing as I reviewed my exam. I had forgotten the type of environment in which this tests take place, and now upon reflecting, I think of my future students, NCLB (for more info, go here, and the serious consequences of standardized testing.

The directions alone before the test, were daunting. My ID was checked twice, and I was warned of the implications of being an impostor and of using my cell phone during the test. Throughout the test, I felt as though the proctor was almost expecting me to cheat.

Am I paranoid?

I found myself thinking this as I waited for the two hours to tick by so that I could have an opportunity to finally rise from my seat. I felt this stress, even as an adult, after a lifetime of taking standardized tests. Imagine being a struggling student who has issues with taking tests in general.

I do believe that testing is necessary and that standards are not always a bad thing. I also believe that tests need to be administered in some sort of uniform way as to ensure their legitimacy. What I am wondering, is if there is a better way to administer these types of test? Maybe what I am really asking is if there is a better test we can use to assess our students?

At the end of my test, the proctor read from the booklet the procedure necessary to cancel our scores immediately, should we feel the need to. Unfortunately, my future students will not be given the opportunity to make this same decision. Their scores will effect their future, as well as my future and the future of the school. These types of tests, which are taken in an environment which I personally feel intimidated by, dictate the future for our students under NCLB. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Dr. Mad Scientist said...

Wow, I admit to being a little nervous while taking the Praxis but I really didn't get all that worried. I got more freaked out from stepping into a High School again. Lot's of memories came flooding back then.
Plus I struggled early in both my exams. Physics and Plant Biology are not my strong points.
But I also have a very strong history in standardized tests. I've always done well on them so I don't really tend to worry much about the end results.

I've known other people I've thought would have a stroke going into the test because they felt under so much pressure.

Just supports my theory that standardized tests primarily test who is good at taking tests, more than any actual knowledge...

Maria DiDomenico said...

I couldn't have said it better. No matter how well I've done on standardized test, I always feel butterflies in my tummy and a fear of failure. I still take the test and do wellbecause I know the material...but in many cases, if a person has already siked themselves out into believing they are a "bad" test-taker, they don't try to study and kind of give up. I have actually heard parents say to their children that the standardized test meant nothing and that they are "bad" test takers. That made me so angry to hear because in order to cure their current woes they undermined their childs test taking skills for life. I know someone who failed the drivers test 5 times, and came out everytime saying "I am a bad testtaker" and their parents condoned this with " You are a bad test-taker and you have never done well on test". I on the other hand, got that person to pass the test on the 6th try. How, by forcing him to read the booklet. The same person won't take the GED because "bad test-taking" and has asked me never to mention it again and he would be more hurt if he failed then proud if he passed. So I don't and for the rest of his life he will think he is a bad test-taker. Its messed up but so much testing makes people discouraged.